Vanlife is the new up-and-coming trend among millennial campers. With increased access to remote and scenic locations and a low cost of living, camping has never been easier than it is now. Vanlife – sometimes referred to as camper van life or caravan life – is a lifestyle in which people live in their cars or campers.
Most people who take part in this lifestyle live in vans and parks with other like-minded campers who also choose to live an off-the-grid existence. Vanlife offers freedom from city life, having your own space, and more privacy than found in a residential property. It’s also ideal for those who enjoy camping and are passionate about their hobbies and interests away from home.
What is Vanlife?
Vanlife is a lifestyle in which people live in their cars or campers. It’s similar to camping except you don’t need to find a space for your tent. You can live in your car, truck, or van and camp at any public or private location. You can also live in a campervan or motorhome.
Why Live in a Van/Camper?
If you love the freedom and simplicity of vanlife and camping, but don’t want to deal with the hassles of having a residence, then vanlife is for you. It’s one of the fastest-growing lifestyles out there because it combines two of our favorite things: being outdoors and being independent. If you’re new to the idea of vanlife, you may be wondering why anyone would choose to live this way.
Luckily, there are tons of benefits to vanlife that make it well worth it.
- The Right Place at the Right Time – Living in a van gives you the freedom to travel and explore new places. Plus, you don’t have to pay for a home address or deal with their associated costs like property taxes, insurance, and maintenance.
- No Car Payment – Most people get a car payment or lease for their first car. This can be pretty expensive, especially if you lease. Fortunately, car ownership is becoming less and less popular. Many people are choosing to live car-free, walk or bike to work or use public transportation. This means you don’t need a car payment, which means you can live in a van!
- No House Bills – There are a lot of expenses associated with maintaining a home. Most of these expenses are based on the idea of property ownership and property tax. Instead, you can choose to camp or live in a van without worrying about these expenses.
The Advantages of Living in a Camper
- You Can Find Awesome Camping Locations – You don’t have to settle for the first public or private location that you find. Instead, you can move to a different location that’s a better fit for your lifestyle and interests.
- You Can Travel the World – If you love traveling and exploring new places, but hate the burden of packing, maintaining, and storing multiple homes, then vanlife is perfect for you. This lifestyle allows you to travel and explore the world with just a few bags.
- You Can Go to College – Many people get a job to fund their education. However, this doesn’t work out so well if you want to get a more advanced degree that has a high cost. Living in a van and camping allows you to earn your own money and go to college without worrying about expensive loans.
Disadvantages of Living in a Camper
You Have to Find a Spot For Your Tent – While this isn’t difficult in urban or suburban areas, it can be challenging in remote areas. You need a spot that is public enough for people to walk by, but private enough for you to feel safe from prying eyes.
Finding a Place to Park Your Car Is a Challenge – Even when you find a spot that’s good enough for your tent and camper, you need to find a way to park your car. This can be challenging in remote areas.
Carrying the Right Gear for Camping Can be a Challenge – When you only have a few bags to carry instead of a car, a van, or a house, you need to decide what to include. This can be challenging because you don’t want to overload your bags with items that you know won’t get used often.
Finding the Right Van for You
If you’ve decided to go down this road, you may be wondering what type of van to buy. There are lots of factors that you need to consider before purchasing a van. These include the size of your camper, how often you plan to camp, and how far you plan to travel. First, you need to decide on the size of your camper.
If you have a small car and a small camper, then you may want to buy a smaller, more affordable van. But if you have a large car, then you can probably fit a larger van. Next, decide how often you plan to drive your van. Some people only use their van on weekends or when they have a job that requires them to travel.
Other people use their vans every day and for long road trips or vacations. Lastly, decide how far you plan to travel. If you only plan to drive a few miles to work, you may not need a full-sized van. But if you want to travel across the country, you need to buy a van.
Vanlife is a lifestyle where people live in their cars or campers and camp at public or private locations. It’s similar to camping, but you don’t need to find a space for your tent. You can live in your car, truck, or van and camp at any public or private location.
If you’re new to this lifestyle and are wondering why anyone would choose to live it, there are tons of benefits to vanlife. It combines the freedom and simplicity of camping with the privacy of living in a residential area.